This Chestnut Wellington is wonderful for any celebration.
Adapted from a recipe by Rose Elliot in her Fast, Fresh and Fabulous vegetarian cookbook.
I have broken this into parts to make it easier
Set the oven to 200°C – 400°F
2 sheets Vegetarian Pastry – or make your own.
- 1 Tblsp olive oil.
- 1 onion finely chopped.
- 4 baby leeks finely chopped.
- 50gm mushrooms finely chopped.
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped.
- 50ml Red wine.
- 1 teaspoon Marmite.
- 200gm roasted (or jar) chestnuts chopped.
- Zest of one orange (organic and unwaxed).
- 1 teaspoon dried sage.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Sea salt to taste.
- Saute the ingredients in Group 1 until the onions are soft.
- Lower the heat.
- Add in Group 2, wine and Marmite and keep stirring until the wine has reduced.
- Add in Group 3 and cook for a further 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- The mixture should thicken.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool.
Put the two sheets of pastry together to create a large rectangle. Roll a little to flatten out the join.
- Cut strips on the sides – as in image.
- Put filling in the middle.
- Pull up each corresponding strip from each side and cross or plait.
- By the time you’ve finished it should be all covered (or close to).
- Brush with a little nut milk.
- Bake for 15 minutes, if getting golden you can turn the oven down to a medium heat and cook a further 15 minutes.
- In the oven, you are cooking the pastry as the loaf is already cooked, so cook the pastry until a beautiful golden colour.
- Have all your ingredients ready … makes it easier.