With the latest Supermarket Stats from Britain out, are we seeing a Rise in Veganism?
Now I realize that these statistics are from Britain, but I truly believe that these figures are synonymous with what is a growing trend in the Western world. Even in my own small city, the emergence of new plant based cafés – vegetarian, vegan and raw foods has increased considerably in the last 18 months. It’s wonderful to behold!!!!
The following statistics were taken from the supermarket figures in Britain for the year 2016. What I have done is show you what they would be if they were USA or N.Z. dollars (Australians can go sort of in between those two).
Fresh Meat was down £328 million – $106 million USA – $566 million N.Z.
Itemized out that is:
- Beef – down £72 million – $90 million USA – $124 million N.Z.
- Pork – down £62 million – $75 million USA – $107 million N.Z.
- Lamb – down £21 million – $26 million USA – $36 million N.Z.
- Poultry – down £49 million – $60 million USA – $84 million N.Z.
But not only was meat down, so was dairy ….
- Fresh milk – down £54 million – $66 million USA – $93 million N.Z.
- Butter – down £83 million – $102 million USA – $143 million N.Z.
- Cheese – down £73 million – $90 million USA – 1266 million N.Z.
Brilliant news!!!! And the beauty is that there was a rise in Dairy Free product which were up by £123 million
If this trend continues we could see omnivores as being the odd ones out and plant based eaters as main stream. Wouldn’t that be grand for us all (humans, animals the planet!!!).
Enjoy great food and be compassionate to all animals including humans